Tuesday, April 11, 2006

This beautiful man

Last January, I was at Starbucks in Robinsons Galleria, doing some school work. There I met a guy with the most arresting eyes I have ever seen. I was having a latte and while working. Remembering the survey forms I had to accomplish, I distributed them (how embarrassing, but the things we have to do for the sake of grades..!.) to the customers, and and he was the last person I approached.

"Excuse me," I said.

He looked up and smiled. He was so beautiful.

He had a bit of stubble on his face, but it suited him. He had a laptop on the table, some notebooks and books, but he appeared to be reading a novel, which was on his lap.

I continued. "Well, I normally do not assault people in coffee shops, but I have to have these questionnaires accomplished. It's for school--and I love Neil Gaiman."

I didn't know why I said that! Apparently, while I was speaking to him, my eyes trailed to the book he was reading. Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Neil Gaiman's, of all books!

We started talking, and introduced ourselves. He was really nice. He asked if I do write. I said yes. Apparently he is a freelance writer and graphic designer.

40 days after that episode. I was at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf at Greenbelt 4 to meet my groupmates. I was there for about an hour when C--the same guy!--walked in. I was at the smoking area because my groupmates sat there, so I had a clear view of the store's interior. I saw him look at me, and I knew he recognized me. Funny how awkward events like these could get. I went to the restroom and passed by his table. He looked again. I didn't have the nerve to go up to him. (What would I say? "Hi. Contrary to what I told you before, I DO assault people in coffeeshops." Duh.)

That's how it went the whole time I was there. I actually started counting. 5 times. He looked at me 5 times. Never mustered enough courage to at least say hi. So brave yet so cowardly, Lorie.

Anyhow, why do I write about this, as I would do a post-mortem of events and things? Right. I saw this picture of Neil Gaiman and I was reminded of him when I first met him.
Neil Gaiman. Such a beautiful man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home