Wednesday, October 12, 2005

super september: Life as a Designer...and a potential for a shift in careers

FASHION SHOW
Well, these hands have been terribly abused lately:
Lala Flores' words to me during our TVC shoot last summer is ringing in my ears: "decided to shift careers...."
She was a supermodel-turned-makeup artist.
I stayed up all night, finishing the outfits for two of our models during the dorm fashion show. For Leslie's outfit, I used soda can pull tabs which Gly and I wove together to form a corset-ish top. Then I embellished it with beads, strung in wire to form vines. The skirt has a cloth base, then a wire skirt (with help from my lovely angels Chona, Nigga, Gly, and Chena) made of beads locked in twisted wire.

I felt proud, seeing Leslie and JC wearing my creations. Leslie was beautiful and radiant. I've been teasing them both during the whole "preparation period", telling them that they might turn it into a real case of budding love, after all. JC was a good sport, and he carried the whole outfit well, even the wire and bead headdress which he later took off and placed on Leslie's hair. They even complied when I told them to hold hands during the actual ramp per pair.

JC's staff and Leslie's outfit worked such that when set side by side, formed a heart. it was the hardest to make, but I'm glad it worked. I made the design of the staff and the "cape", and Gly, our corridor representative finished making it. Gly was wonderfully helpful and efficient!

:

I ended up not only doing their outfits, makeup, and hair, but also the other models' makeup as well. But it was ok. Boots, my other friend was a perfect assistant! JC's outfit was mostly "handcrafted" by Boots. My friend Mich did most of the other designs Death(modeled by Chona and Ralph) War ( Pau and Pweng), and Separation (Chena and TJ). Beadstuff (my line of accessories) were worn by Pwend, Chena, and Leslie. I'm glad we were able to document them. i might put them in the brochure I'm coming up with.

My hands were badly bruised. They bled, too. I didn't feel the pain. It felt beautiful to see my creations. I slept and slept afterwards.

etcetera:

THE BA ORG PRESENTATION
I was one of CE performers for the BA org pres.We had to little time to prepare. When the other organizations' performers arrived, they were in full gear: outfits, makeup and all. I ended up doing our performers' makeup.

VOICE OUT
A week or two after that, I was at Cello's Katipunan, rushing orders for swarovski earrings when I was summoned to our event quite early. There was no makeup artist. I ended up doing the hair and makeup of contestants. Well, I got burned by the curling iron but I don't mind too much because that particular contestant won as champion. :)

"Wake me up when September ends...." (Green Day)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home